Thursday, October 18, 2012

Stokes: You're not entitled to your own opinion? (new)

       I both agree and disagree with some of the statements in this article. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion but then again it doesn't mean you are scientifically right. There are certain things that you can not justify just by saying "I am entitled to my own opinion". I would have to say that in many disagreements it maybe based on morals or how you look at the world, so technically you are entitled to your own opinion. Some people may take it to far, sometimes you just have to know when enough is enough and just let it go. I would agree that if you can't back up your opinion with fact then it is not something that you actually have to listen to and go by.

   
     Patrick Stokes, Lecturer in Philosophy at Deakin University, in his essay "No, You're Not Entitled to your Own Opinion" claims that people are not entitled in their own opinions. He backs this statement up by saying "you should be able to back your argument up with facts" because people look at is at they can say and think however they like regardless if it is disrespectful. Many people us this to shelter theirs beliefs that should have been forgotten a long time ago. Although I agree with Patrick Stokes up to a point, I cannot accept the fact that he is saying you are not entitled to your own opinion at all. I feel like you are but some people just take it way to far and don't simply know how just to accept the fact they lost the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment